Monday, December 13, 2010

It's been forever...and other thoughts.

Today I realized I have not blogged (not here at least) for a long time. I don't know why, because I am certain there were very many cool things I could of written about, but I do know I was burnt-out. First it was from reading, and I took a reading sabbatical. It promptly ended after a few months away from academia, thank goodness too, life was getting a little too normal for my liking. What I did not realize was that I was also pretty down-trodden on writing wise. Then something wonderful happened, I started to write, and draw, and read, and enjoy life.

It came in little bursts, a bit like pomegranate seeds. First it was reading, I couldn't get enough fiction into my life. After a few months I started doing art again, mostly a drawing here and there, plans for paintings and a few sculptures. Most recently I started writing again, and I feel like I'm back at home. It feels so nice, so warm, so cuddly. I almost want to giggle.

Today's post isn't all that special, apart from my coming-out (or back) party currently happening both in my head and my desk. I have so many things I want to write about, and I want to start now, but I know that sleep will not let one eye fall as long as I am typing away. So, today it is just one observation. One that is a bit bewildering to some and wacky to others, yet sits close to my heart. Here it is: public transit is not only good for the environment, it is good for reading.

I came to this realization in early September, when I got myself a car. **silent applause**
I got a car, and thought "wow...the amount of time I will save is so worth this", and it was. But, I also lost out on my ritual of reading through books like a mad-woman, on my daily commutes. At first it was all I could do but cry at the annoying way traffic moves so that it's just fast enough to move at a snails pace, but not stopped where you can pull out a book and sigh a bit. I came to realize that it wasn't the traffic that bugged me, it was that I wanted to read and get the car to drive itself. So in defense of cars driving themselves in the future, I say "bring it on"!. I dearly miss my commute, but I do not miss being late or taking 2 hrs to get to my destination. I do not miss the rude people or the fares, but I do miss the solitude of finding a spot on a bus and huddling over a book, knowing full-well it is the only things that mattered at the time.

I've ridden the transit system a few times since then, and when I do I appreciate it more. No need to find parking and time to read, but as much as I miss those things I now have a new appreciation for reading books curled up on the couch with my cat in tow, and it it with this thought I will leave for now.

To all the readers out there! --> enjoy

yours
-Rogi