Monday, November 19, 2007

Newspaper Clippings

As I was flipping through the newspaper today, perhaps more like flipping through the 1st section. I stumbled on a small blurp regarding whaling.

To be exact, Japan has decided to begin its "research" on humpback whales again, and is sending out "research" vessels, to start collecting (killing) humpbacks. This decision comes after years of a moratorium,set in place when the humpbacks were almost hunted to extinction, about 50 years ago. Now that their numbers have increases a bit, its back to humpback soup.

I've been giving whaling a lot of thought, and the more I think about it the more angry and sad I get at the cruelty associated with this industry.

Years ago as a freshman in high school I decided to stop eating meat and seafood, in protest of the destructive and cruel practices employed by both the meat and seafood industry.

It may soon be that just as the Dodo sang its last song, so too may the humpback whale. I am overcome by sadness at the carelessness humans show when dealing with the natural world.

As a poignant reminder though, sharks are also being hunted to extinction...as is the majority of the ocean life that modern commerce has set a price on.

What a sad world we will have with no sharks, whales, turtles, and many many many many others.

peace be to all beings,
-Anna (r)

No comments: